Fix: Start Menu Search Not Working [Not Showing Results] in (Windows 7,8,10)
How To Fix Start Menu Search Not Working [Not Showing Results]: Start menu has been available in all the versions of Windows including XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, etc. However, the Windows 10 package comes along with a Cortana feature. It has a search box in the taskbar. The start menu is opened through this search box in Windows 10. There are times when the Start menu stops showing results. This will hamper the process of viewing the results normally. There can be many reasons behind this. Third-party programs like PC optimizers and antivirus, certain system files that may be corrupted, hard drive issues, etc are some common reasons. Restart your system once to check if everything is alright. Generally, it works. Otherwise, go through these solutions. Below is a list of the most well-known solutions for the Start Menu Search Not Working problem.
Methods To Fix: Start Menu Search Not Working Windows 7, 8, 10
#1 Start or restart Windows Search Service
- Fix: Start Menu Search Not Working
Windows Search might sometimes stop without any reason whatsoever. This happens unexpectedly. Probably you might have disabled the service by mistake. So, you should check it and enable it. Simply follow the steps mentioned below.
- Open run by pressing Win + R
- Once it opens, type services.MSC and press enter. A new window will open.
- You will be able to see a list of services. Find Window Search and double-click on it. A properties dialog box will open.
- Click Stop first and then click start.
- Now set startup type as Automatic and try searching for something to check if it fixes the “start menu not working” problem.
- If not, restart your system to recheck.
#2 Tweak Cortana Language settings
This method might perhaps appear a bit weird. But it has proved to work for some people. Here is how it works. The current language must be changed to something else and then you need to change it back to the previous one to check if it works. Follow these steps:
Open the search box from the taskbar and try typing something in the start menu. In the bottom left corner, you will find a setting icon. Select it.
- Scroll down and search for other languages and change it to another language.
- Check if it works. If it does, then this method has solved your problem of Start Menu Search Not Working Windows 10.
#3 End Search and Cortana processes
This is proved to be one of the most effective solutions to fix the Start menu not working in Windows 10. Restarting the Search or Cortana feature might be favorable. However, it’s not a one-step process. Cortana starts automatically when we switch our system on. So, you can end the task from Task Manager. It will almost be similar to restarting Cortana. Follow the steps given below.
- Right-click on the taskbar to open Task manager.
- Now in the list, you need to find any task which has the terms “Cortana” or “Search”. Once you find it, end the task.
- Now you need to check if what you’re searching for from the Start menu is working or not.
#4 Use Disk Defragment
It may be because your hard disk has become extremely fragmented that the search function is slow. The hard disk speed is an essential factor that contributes to any OS performance. As a result, the search tool might not show the desired results. In such a case, a built-in disk optimizer tool can help you.
- Open run and type dfrgui and press the Enter key.
- Now select disk drive and then click on Optimize.
- The time required for this task to complete may range from about a few minutes to a couple of hours.
- After this is done, your Start menu issues must generally not occur anymore.
#5 Fix the problem in your hard disk
The hard disk speed, as mentioned before is a major component that affects the performance of Windows. If the fault is in your hard disk, then it might in turn affect your search processes. To check out how to fix hard disk-related issues, you could probably check out this article “Ways to find and fix hard disk problems”. You can use a system file checker or command prompt to solve this issue.
These are some common techniques that will solve the problem of your Start menu not functioning properly. However, there are uncommon techniques that can solve the problem too. Otherwise, these techniques must be quite useful as generally, the problem lies in the given areas. Once it is solved, the problem “Start menu search not working” will be completely fixed.
Go ahead and try both these common and uncommon methods out to say a no to your interruption. Mostly, you’ll be done using the first three methods only. If not, the other methods will definitely Fix Start Menu Search Not Working (Not Showing Results] in Windows 7,8,10.